Posted to rec.food.baking
Richard Crowley

Default CornBREAD

"Dusty Bleher" wrote ...
> Hello Richard;

>> kinds of bread. My lifetime favorite was something they
>> called "Golden Indian Bread' which was a whole-wheat
>> (but not whole-grain, AFAIK) bread with a large and noticable
>> corn-meal proportion. A couple slices of that,

> Can you describe this bread a bit more? You know, color, size,
> texture, shape, flavor, etc...?
>
> It sound interesting, and I'd like to learn more about it...

It was a very uniform-shape/size loaf with a "nominal"
crust and "nominal"-looking interior texture/color. It
was essentially indistinguishable from any other
bakery-made wheat bread. The "mouth-feel" was a bit
on the coarse side of average. There was nothing really
remarkable-looking about the bread. But the flavor had
a noticeable element of cornmeal, I don't recall if you
could actually see any yellow cornmeal by looking at
the slices.

I once saw a pallet stacked with several bags of "mix".
They were 50lb brown kraft paper bags with dark green
printing on them. I wish I could remember the name of
the vendor, but that bakery had several of their varieties
that came from similar "mixes" from the same source.
The bakery is long out of business, and the market itself
may also be out of business (clientele stolen away by a
big chrome/glass chain supermarket a few miles away).

"nominal" is a great word made popular by the scientists
and engineers at NASA in the 1970-80s.

And I got "mouth-feel" from International Fragrances &
Flavors (www.iff.com)