Posted to rec.food.baking
Richard Crowley

Default CornBREAD

"Vox Humana" wrote ...
> Yeast-raised
> breads are not cake-like because they require the tough
> network of gluten to contain the CO2 produced by the
> yeast.

I apologize that I escaped higher-education studying only
physics (to the exclusion of both inorganic and organic
chemistry :-( But it sounds like you are saying that because
corn doesn't have the same properties as wheat (gluten,
etc.) you can't make the same kind of product with corn
meal as you do with wheat flour?

I don't suppose that "Wonder Bread" actually qualifies
as "bread"? :-) As a child, my parents explained that
the name is short for "It's a Wonder they can call it Bread"

Thank you for the recipe. Can you speculate how it would
perform with whole-grain flour? And/or with a different
proportion of wheat flour vs. corn meal?