Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default CornBREAD

"Richard Crowley" > wrote in message
> So everything I have ever seen/eaten that is called "cornbread"
> seems more like "cake". It has a "softer" texture and is less
> dense than what I would call "bread". Also virtually all the
> recepies I have seen for cornbread use eggs which I'd like
> to eliminate. Is there such a thing as something more like a
> full-bodied whole-grain BREAD using corn?

Corn bread is a quick bread just like other cake-like quick breads. Think
banana bread, zucchini bread, etc. Northerners tend to add a lot of sugar
to their cornbread and southerners do not. Northerners tend to use a
combination of cornmeal and flour and southerners tend to use all cornmeal.
Quick breads are leavened with chemicals, AKA, baking powder. Yeast-raised
breads are not cake-like because they require the tough network of gluten to
contain the CO2 produced by the yeast. It sounds like you want a
yeast-raised bread that contains corn meal.

There is no reason you can't add some corn meal to your favorite yeast bread
recipe. Here is a link to a recipe that I found
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/bakery/special/cornmeal.htm

The recipe is essentially a Victorian milk bread recipe with cornmeal added.
In fact, it is the recipe that I use for basic white bread and rolls. My
recipe does not use eggs like the one I referenced. You can follow that
recipe and leave out the eggs. You may need to increase the water a bit to
compensate for the lost moisture contributed by the eggs. I often
substitute up to a cup of oats or whole wheat flour in this recipe.