Posted to rec.food.baking
Richard Crowley

Default CornBREAD

So everything I have ever seen/eaten that is called "cornbread"
seems more like "cake". It has a "softer" texture and is less
dense than what I would call "bread". Also virtually all the
recepies I have seen for cornbread use eggs which I'd like
to eliminate. Is there such a thing as something more like a
full-bodied whole-grain BREAD using corn?

Somewhat related...
>25 years ago when I lived in Loma Linda, the University

market had an in-store bakery which offered ~30 different
kinds of bread. My lifetime favorite was something they
called "Golden Indian Bread' which was a whole-wheat
(but not whole-grain, AFAIK) bread with a large and
noticable corn-meal proportion. A couple slices of that,
toasted with butter was a heavenly treat and unequalled
in modern times. They actually made it from a pre-
packaged "mix" that came in 50-lb brown paper sacks.
Dunno whether it was just the combination of grains, or
if it included more of the ingredients of the bread?
Recent Google searches have revealed nothing.