Posted to rec.food.cooking
MareCat

Default What's the funniest or worst restaurant experience you'd had so far?

"Rob" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Irrespective of the location, what's been your funniest or worst
> restaurant experience/s you've had so far - as in the food and / or
> service being terrible, or the food and service being fine and very
> good, but something else amusing occurred.

I've had a LOT of bad restaurant experiences, but most of them are
pretty run-of-the-mill stories. One experience was just really, really
strange, though...

A few years ago, my husband and I were driving back to Houston from a
weekend in San Antonio. We decided to stop at the Natural Bridge
Caverns. Afterward, we were driving back to the freeway, and on the way
we stumbled upon a small restaurant/vineyard/winery in the middle of
nowhere. It looked charming (the restaurant was in a house with a porch,
which overlooked the vineyard), so we stopped in for lunch. We were the
only patrons there. As we entered, a young man approached us and seated
us out on the porch. Very pretty setting. He asked us what we wanted to
drink, and we asked to see a drink menu. He told us what they had to
offer. Since he hadn't mentioned any of the wines produced there on the
premises (which we wanted to try, since we were at a winery), we
inquired about them. He seemed confused, left to go inside for a minute
(to ask someone, I suppose), then came out and said they didn't have any
of their wines available by the glass because they produced such a small
quantity. OK, fine, whatever. No biggie. The rest of our meal was just
very weird. Our waiter seemed very out of it. Couldn't really answer our
questions about anything. Was just, well, spacey... Took us awhile to
get through the meal (big gaps of time between looking at the menu,
ordering, getting our food, getting our check, etc.). And we'd catch him
peeking at us through the window as we were eating. But the food was
superb. We had wonderful chicken crepes with sides of oven-roasted
potatoes, grilled veggies, and a yummy salad. And it really was
beautiful, eating there on the porch, overlooking the vineyard. (The
price was outrageously cheap, too. IIRC, it was like $6-7 for each of
our lunches, excluding a glass of wine apiece.)

Mary