Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Default What's the funniest or worst restaurant experience you'd had so far?

channeltool wrote:

> and a dessert which we refused, The chefs excuse was that they ran out
> of leeks. It was a house special and we were the second couple that was
> seated that night. No way did they run out of leeks 40 minutes into
> service.o the

You can offer some very attractively priced specials if you aren't really
offering them :-)

A number of years ago, a friend of mine warned me away from a restaurant that
had recently opened. It had been a dilapidated old building and someone had
bought it and but a lot of work into rebuilding it and turning it into a
restaurant. My friend and his wife went there on a Tuesday night to try it
out. They weren't sure if it was really open because there were no cars in the
parking lot. When he went in the owner greeted him at the door and asked if he
had reservations, and then went through the motions of checking the
reservation sheet to see if he could fit them in.

I was once turned away from the restaurant in a motel where I was staying on
business in a grubby northern town. I had clean jeans and a clean shirt and
explained that I was staying in the hotel and just wanted a quick meal. They
finally agreed to let me in. I was the only person there and the dinner was
awful.