Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

Thank you, Pearl. As you show, there are Biblical verses which support
vegetarianism, as there are Biblical verses which talk about meat-eating
and animal sacrifices. Individual verses can be pulled out of the
Bible, and it is useful to quote verses which support the position
someone takes, of course. The Bible is the basis for Christian and
Jewish ethics, and the Old Testament for Muslim ethics as well.

However, Christians who are not Biblical fundamentalists or literalists
go more on the *meaning* of the Bible as a whole, and it is clear to
me, as to other Christian vegetarians, that the Biblical message,
especially of Jesus, is about service, self-sacrifice, and mercy.
Animal liberation/rights and ethical vegetarianism are more in keeping
with Christian ethics than use of animal products as they are produced
today in most cases.

Have you read Linzey at all? He is excellent on Christian support for
rights of animals and Christian reasons for vegetarianism.