Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

Dutch wrote:
> "Glorfindel" > wrote

>>Linzey notes: "The biblical case for vegetarianism does not rest on
>>the view that killing may never be allowable in the eyes of God,
>>rather on the view that killing is always a grave matter. When we
>>have to kill to live we may do so, but when we do not, we should live
>>otherwise." _Animal Theology_

> This is the essence of veganism, to avoid "animal products" means "to live
> otherwise",

As far as that specific behavior is concerned. Linzey is careful to
note that even vegans do have a CD cost in their lives. He is well
aware of *your* fallacious reasoning that if we will only start eating
meat, we will somehow become virtuous -- or it won't matter to us any
more.

> just the fallacious reasoning that so many people fall for. This
> line of thought of course is extrapolated from moral behaviour towards
> humans, i.e. kill only in self-defense, where it actually makes sense.

It makes sense in reference to non-humans also.