Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:
>>

>>>Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
>>>Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
>>>make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a

>>'criss
>>
>>>cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the

>>cooked
>>
>>>apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
>>>infused with the flavours of the pie.

>>I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
>>
>>that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
>>soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
>>refrigeration?

> A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
> going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
> don't wnat to take any chances.
>
> In any hot, humid southern hemisphere envinroment where it is now summer
> i would refrigerate. In the northern hemisphere it is less necessary.

Isn't that the truth about the northern hemisphere. We're getting a
dose of the white stuff with frigid winds. My kitchen cupboards are on
outside walls. The corner cupboard in the kitchen could almost double
as a fridge in the winter leading us to suspect the previous owners were
negligent in installing insulation. It's going to be a pain tearing
those walls apart but for energy savings, we are going to. The nice
thing about these cold temps is when you are having a large crowd, you
can put things like pop on the porch to stay cold and save fridge space.