Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Default Powder Sugar...w/Cornstarch?

Geoman1 wrote:

> I heard and just tried making fine sugar in my Vita Mix. The sugar comes out
> very very fine but still not that of cakes. The problem I had is to get the
> sugar to travel into the center and recirculate you have to do at least four
> cups at a time. It did a great job but not for 2 cups or less, at those
> amounts the sugar begins to heat and smell like cotton candy :-)
>
> Rich

Vitamix is a great blender, but I agree, it's too big for this kind of
job. I use a little whirly-blade coffee mill my wife keeps for grinding
herbs and flax seed. (I use a burr grinder for coffee.) It takes about a
cup at atime, and in 30-60 seconds, reduces granulated sugar to a very
fine powder.

Dave