Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOB

Default Internal Temperature of Brisket

Sheldon wrote:
: alan wrote:
:: Since I got this remote probe themometer by Maverick, I thought I
:: would try it out on the Brisket today and the Turkey tomorrow
before
:: deciding whether or not to keep it..
::
:: However, I have no idea what temperature Brisket gets soft but not
:: falling apart. I usually poke it with a fork. Is there a
temperature
:: that denotes that state? Right now after 2 hours and 15 minutes of
:: cooking with the the first 25 minutes at 500 and the rest at 350,
the
:: themometer says 183 degrees. I know it's not even close to done
yet.
:: Have any of you used a themometer for Brisket to at least
preventing
:: forgetting about it and really nuking it to deaeth. I know that's
:: hard with Brisket but it;'s not a bad idea to know a range at which
:: you need to be careful.
::
:: Now it's 186 degrees.
:
: Brisket is cooked by tenderness, not temperature... stick a fork in
it.
:
: Anyway for dry roasting brisket 350ºF much too high a temperature,
: it'll become dry and burn before it becomes tender... drop down to
: 275ºF, tent loosely with foil, and cook until fork tender, perhaps
six
: hours. Hopefully you didn't already cook it too long at that
: temperature... oh, well... your shoes need resoling anyway.
:
: Sheldon-q

Exactly what Sheldon said.
That fork may twist anywhere between 150 to 195 degrees internal
temperature depending on the individual brisket.
Like Kili, I usually smoke briskets, and start them for the first
couple of hours @ about 225 to 250, then raise the temperature to 275
for the remainder of the cook. The only reason for the lower starting
temperature is that I'll get a darker smoke ring and it makes a great
presentation. Doesn't add to the taste at all, and can't happen in
your oven, so just use 275 the entire cook.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List