Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

Default Kates lemon dream (waws Fried Meyer lemon slices)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:47:50 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Kathy in NZ wrote:

>> In NZ, Meyer lemons are common. They are thin-skinned, juicy, still
>> sour, and prolific fruiters on trees, my favourite lemons, but their
>> bounty depends on where they're grown. In my childhood home of
>> Hastings, they grew almost year-round. The trees were seldom without
>> lemons on them. However I haven't been successful in growing them well
>> in Wellington (cooler climate).

>Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
>who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
>offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
>were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
>I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
>that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
>lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
>Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
>one. :-)

I quite like eating a Meyer lemon as a fruit, but then I like
sour/savoury more than sweet things.

What are really nice are pancakes (not American ones, more like
crepes) with a sprinkling, just a light sprinkling of sugar and a very
generous squeeze of lemon juice. Oh be a devil. Use half a lemon at
least per pancake. Roll into a cylinder and eat.