Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

Default Fried Meyer lemon slices

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:15:42 +1300, Peter Huebner
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> http://tinyurl.com/8vb6h
>>

>Anyhow, I for one can't stand Meyer lemons. If I want mandarins, I'll
>eat mandarins. If I want lemons, I want sour, zesty, tangy lemons and
>not those wishy washy Meyers. They are like eating wilted lettuce i.m.o.
>

>The trouble with Meyers, if you grow your own is, the all ripen at once
>on the tree, and after they're gone - that's it. When they're ripe the
>ground under the tree is covered in rotting fruit because you can't use
>them all, the rest of the year you're s.o.o.l.

Snipped
In NZ, Meyer lemons are common. They are thin-skinned, juicy, still
sour, and prolific fruiters on trees, my favourite lemons, but their
bounty depends on where they're grown. In my childhood home of
Hastings, they grew almost year-round. The trees were seldom without
lemons on them. However I haven't been successful in growing them well
in Wellington (cooler climate).

Meyers are more suited to some climates than others. Rather like
Chinese gooseberries, that originated in China. For the Chinese they
weren't much of a fruit. In NZ the vines were prolific fruiters and
the fruit was renamed Kiwifruit. Or rabbits, that are cute and fluffy
in England (or possums from Australia) but in NZ are rapidly breeding
pests which destroy pasture and trees.