Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Douglas W. Hoyt

Default Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

One method is to distill the corn, and age it in a charred oak barrel.
Then after drinking the, um, bourbon, use the barrel to store a kick-ass
barleywine for six months like the one last year at Tyranena brewery in Lake
Mills. The first time I had it, I wondered what on earth I was going to do
with the rest of the $3 pint after drinking the first sip. But then, like a
moth to a flame, I kept going back for more. The barleywine alone is
palate-imploding enough, but the six-month bourbon kick of this product made
the whole experience like being dragged through a swamp full of alligators
and mung-lizards with grain silos exploding left and right while a volcanic
cleft emits half-cooled, half-bubbling quasi-organic substances into the
swampwaters from the center of the earth while the sky is dense with
frenetic tornadic activity mysteriously drawing in vegetal matter, tree
frogs, and foreign primordial essences from the Amazon rain forest. This is
somewhat an understatement of the true depth of the flavor.

Such is a worthwhile use of corn. Tyranena does not have the
bourbon-barrel barleywine this year that I have seen, though.