Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural,sci.agriculture
Dutch

Default Life can have positive value

<dh@.> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:00:28 GMT, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

>><dh@.> wrote in message ...

>>> I would vote for no more batter hens. I would make that illegal
>>> before
>>> I would cock fighting. I'm certain that seems insane to you, and also
>>> certain that your feelings are due to your own ignorance.

>>Then you are contributing to the "elimination" of battery hens. You are
>>using your own judgment of what you consider right and wrong and deciding
>>that it is better that battery hens never get to experience life.

> Why don't you just explain why I should feel differently?

Because you attack vegans for using the same reasoning. You're saying it's
OK to "eliminate" a group of animals (so they never experience life) if you
believe that their lives are not worth living. It's exactly what they do.
The form of reasoning they use is the same as yours, the only difference is
that they apply it to more animals than you do. Your actual argument against
them is that you agree with their reasoning but you disagree about which
animals should be eliminated.

>>Yet when
>>ARAs use the exact same reasoning you claim that they are wrong for
>>preventing animals from experiencing life. It's pure hypocrisy.

>>> That's because I believe a significant percentage of them have
>>> terrible lives. If I didn't, why would I be opposed to them.

>>And ARAs believe that ALL livestock have terrible lives,

> So do you.

No I don't. My believe is closer to yours,

> Why should anyone believe YOU/"ARAs"?

It's not a case of belief, it's opinion.

>>therefore what they
>>do is consistent with that belief,

> So far I certainly believe that YOU/"THEY" are INCREDIBLY ignorant
> for believing that life does not have positive value for any farm animals.

Why? It's just a difference of degree beween, you, me, and them.

[..]