Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

Default Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote
in :

> I'm all for adjuncts, personally. But given my personal
> experiences with corn/corn sugar as an adjunct, I'd have to
> be brewing someone else's beers before I use corn.

I think corn can be used to good effect in brewing. But fair
'nuff.

>> In my experience homebrewing, I have never, once, ever
>> found adjuncts to contribute to hangovers. Not once.
>> Ever. If this were so, mead (or wine) would be
>> undrinkable.
>>

> <snip>
>
> I never said anything about hangovers. What I was
> referring to was unpalatable/undrinkable beers--typically
> with corn sugars, tart and offensive flavors.

I stand by my statement. Hangovers, tartness...all about
mishandling the ferment, not the adjuncts themselves.

How 'bout this: I know personally someone in Ohio who makes
'meads' from nothing but corn syrup from the local grocery.
Corn syrup, water, yeast, and NOTHING more. I don't know how to
make that more clearerer. He has a wall full of blue ribbons
and gold medals and score sheets that say things like "fabulous
honey character!"

Now, I realize this is a (poor) reflection on mead judges, but
the point is: A fermented beverage can be made from nothing
other than what would normally be considered an adjunct and be
considered a good beverage. No tartness, no unpalatableness.

> And usually,
> it's the result of someone following exactly the directions
> on a can of malt extract, which say something on the order
> of "dissolve the contents of this can and four cups of corn
> sugar in hot water....."

I realize you exaggerate for effect, but I've never seen that
recipe or anything like it, not even in an abbey-style.

>>> Insofar as "constructive criticism", I suggest simply
>>> "grow up". Lew and I get PAID for what we write.

>> That lends EXTRA SPECIAL weight to your comments.
>>
>>> (Imagine
>>> drinking booze and coming out with more money than when
>>> you started.)

>> Er, um...how do I put this? Only an asshole would take
>> charity out of the building. Goes into the tip jar if
>> nothing else. Me, I admit that I've only come out not
>> paying anything.

> * I don't mean "going out drinking and not paying for it".
> Were any of us that lucky. I mean going out drinking,
> writing about the experiences and news, getting paid for
> it, and finding that the pay for the writing is more than
> you spent for the month on beer.

That is not what you said. Not even sort of.

>>> If you are content to slather your "stream of
>>> consciousness" blather online, far be it from me to stop
>>> you, but as long as your material is semi-coherent, full
>>> of misspellings, and riddled with half-truths, don't ever
>>> expect a positive reception except from those who know
>>> even less than you do.

>> Oh. Crap. That makes sense to me. Consider the above
>> friendly chiding.
>>

> Well............... there may be hope yet.

Back atcha.

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA