Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Dutch

Default wife swap vegan episode

"Glorfindel" > wrote

> Aside from the personal attack on me, you are correct. Efforts
> should be made to decrease the number of collateral deaths in
> large-scale vegetable farming also. Both are a side-effect
> of modern technological methods in agriculture.

Yet "veganism" addresses only one of these so-called "problems" while
remaining utterly mute on the other. I can raise a section of wheat,
including ploughing (or not), seeding, spraying for weeds and pests,
harvesting, transportation, storage and processing. My field can support
hundreds of thousands of small animals like mice, moles and toads, not to
mention grasshoppers and spiders, *many* of which are killed off by my
intrusions into their domain. Vegans gladly consume the products made from
these processes with nary a whimper. Yet if I raise one animal and slaughter
it, the shrill howls of protest go up. Murderer! Where is the logic in this
way of thinking?