Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

Default Thanksgiving Menu

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:16:06 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:53:07 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
>>when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
>>usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.
>>
>>Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
>>Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)
>>
>>Turkey (surprise!)
>>Challah stuffing
>>Chestnut stuffing

>Do mind sharing your Challah stuffing recipe?
>
>thanks,
>
>ttfn,
>jan

I have no recipe, but I will describe what I do below. This is a rich
dressing, almost a savory bread pudding that is cooked in the bird.

Trim most crust from a large challah. If you can find loaf shaped
challah, rather than a twist, that is even better, but don't drive
yourself nuts removing every drop of crust. Tear off small
apple-sized chunks and run them quickly under cold water, moistening
the bread, but being sure to squeeze any excess out. Tear up the
chunks into small pieces and place in large bowl.

Gently saute one large Spanish or Bermuda onion until translucent. If
you like a lot of onion, by all means, add more. Add to bread. Lightly
beat 4 - 6 (start with 4) eggs with 1/2 cup Wishbone Italian
Dressing. Add to bread & onion mixture.

Wash your hands, take your rings off and get your hands into that
bowl, mixing all the ingredients well. The consistency should be eggy,
but not liquidy. Add more beaten eggs, if needed. Salt and pepper to
taste.

Stuff into the bird, as well as into the neck cavity under the skin
flap. Pin the neck skin to the underside of the turkey. I do not
truss the turkey legs, but leave them open. For me, this allows the
stuffing and dark meat to cook, without making the breast meat
overdone.

For a really large turkey, I have used 2-3 challahs, depending on loaf
size. Any extra, I cook separately and it puffs up like bread
pudding..

This was my grandmother's and mother's way of making stuffing and I
have never used exact measurements, as I leaned by sight and feel as I
grew up. I hope it can be "translated" this way. I do believe in the
early years, my grandmother used schmaltz instead of Wishbone!

Boron