Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

Default Thanksgiving Menu

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:09:26 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:12:58 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On 19 Nov 2005 22:33:42 -0800, "ntantiques" >
>> wrote:

>> cooked in the bird. (I know, I know, but it hasn't killed us yet &
>> >it tastes better that way.)

>I don't think the caution is to not roast the bird with stuffing, it's
>don't store the bird with stuffing still in it.
>
>> I feel the same way.
>>

>Gosh... I love the flavor of stuffing roasted inside the bird. I make
>another pan of stuffing that is baked (there is no such thing as too
>much stuffing at my house) and then I mix them to serve. Mmmmm.

I, too, make a separate stuffing, but it is different from the one in
the turkey. This one is ground chestnuts, fresh bread crumbs, parsley,
onion, celery and butter. I bake it in the convection oven while the
bird cooks in the stove oven. When I baste the turkey, I take some
drippings and "baste" the chestnut stuffing, too. In fact, when I make
it, I cut back on the butter the recipe calls for as I know some
drippings will be in there.

Boron