Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets,alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Phil

Default Sunflower seeds eaten by MLB players

On 2005-11-20 03:01:56 -0500, said:

> Questions, most important ones listed first:
>
> 1. Do MLB players eat the unsalted kind (sunflower seeds) during games?

I'm pretty sure that the ones whose husks are visibly coated with salt
are pumpkin seeds, and I don't recall see them represented in the
packaging you see in the dugouts.

> 2. Are they spitting all the time because of the salty sunflower seeds?

No, they spit because either A) they are Roberto Alomar, or B) they
don't like the decisions of their children's Little League umpires.

> 3. Do I assume correctly that chewing tobacco consumption is way down
> among pro ball players?

Probably. I'll bet it comes up again as steroids and uppers decrease.