Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default Thanksgiving Menu

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 09:36:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Pickled Peaches

> ?! Recipe, please!
>
> Pretty please?
>
> serene

This was my grandmother's recipe. You can use either clingstone or
freestone peaches in it. I prefer clingstone, and they are more
traditional, but sometimes harder to find.

Pickled Peaches

2 pounds brown sugar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 oz. whole cloves
1 oz. stick cinnamon
4 quarts fresh clingstone or freestone peaches

In a very large saucepan or stockpot, mix the sugar, vinegar, and cinnamon
together. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, dip the peaches, a few at a time, in boilng water, then remove
the skin. If using freestone peaches, cut in half and remove the pits.
Stick each peach half with 2 cloves. Stick each whole peach with 4 cloves.

Place the peaches or peach halves in the syrup and cook over low heat for a
few minutes, just until the peaches are barely tender.

Pack the peaches in 1 quart canning jars. Pour the syrup into the jars,
enough to cover the peaches and leaving 1/4" headspace. Run a thin spatula
or non-metallic utensil through each jar to remove air bubbles. Wipe the
jar rims with a damp paper towel. Place the caps and rims on the jars.
Snugly hand-tighten the rims.

Process in a boiling water bath canner for 25 minutes.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*