Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

Default Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

> I suspect you haven't attempted a PrePro or an Abbey. Or even a
> trad Bitter or fruit beer (And **** the rest of you in advance:
> I had an Oud Beersel Kriek the other day, and while not
> spectacular is was very much enjoyable.) Adjuncts have a
> legitimate place in brewing, period.

Let's see............ over in my homebrew rack, there's a peach lambic, a
peach mead, a heavily-spiced Xmas beer, a black-cherry-and-honey stout, a
pumpkin ale (well, technically Blue Hubbard squash), and a future
prickly-pear beer to go with the prickly-pear mead and the honeysuckle
meads............ Oh, and the ciders.

I'm all for adjuncts, personally. But given my personal experiences with
corn/corn sugar as an adjunct, I'd have to be brewing someone else's beers
before I use corn.

>> and it fuels
>> every bad memory of folks' first homebrew, particularly in
>> the cases of folks who bought certain cans of extract and
>> followed the directions on the can label.

> In my experience homebrewing, I have never, once, ever found
> adjuncts to contribute to hangovers. Not once. Ever. If this
> were so, mead (or wine) would be undrinkable.

<snip>

I never said anything about hangovers. What I was referring to was
unpalatable/undrinkable beers--typically with corn sugars, tart and
offensive flavors. And usually, it's the result of someone following
exactly the directions on a can of malt extract, which say something on the
order of "dissolve the contents of this can and four cups of corn sugar in
hot water....."

>> Insofar as "constructive criticism", I suggest simply "grow
>> up". Lew and I get PAID for what we write.

> That lends EXTRA SPECIAL weight to your comments.
>
>> (Imagine
>> drinking booze and coming out with more money than when you
>> started.)

> Er, um...how do I put this? Only an asshole would take charity
> out of the building. Goes into the tip jar if nothing else.
> Me, I admit that I've only come out not paying anything.

* I don't mean "going out drinking and not paying for it". Were any of us
that lucky. I mean going out drinking, writing about the experiences and
news, getting paid for it, and finding that the pay for the writing is more
than you spent for the month on beer.

>> If you are content to slather your "stream of
>> consciousness" blather online, far be it from me to stop
>> you, but as long as your material is semi-coherent, full of
>> misspellings, and riddled with half-truths, don't ever
>> expect a positive reception except from those who know even
>> less than you do.

> Oh. Crap. That makes sense to me. Consider the above friendly
> chiding.

Well............... there may be hope yet.