Posted to rec.food.cooking
karen

Default Beer-Cheese Soup

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't find my original recipe, but it's very much like this one from
> cooks.com. My comments as to what I remember doing differently are in
> brackets.
>
> Beer-Cheese Soup

Good recipe snipped.

Jill, this is my very favorite, which I have posted before. I have had
it at the brewpub and have also made it at home (with chicken stock).

Now I see that amounts aren't coming out right. I would use 1/4 to 1/2
pound gorgonzola. Also, with the potatoes in the soup I have never had
to resort to cornstarch. It's a simple recipe and you can adapt it by
adding carrots or whatever. I'm sorry for how the recipe translated,
but you should be able to find it by google from this newsgroup.

Now watching a show about that scum Chapman.

>From Hizzoner:

GORGONZOLA ALE SOUP

>From the Wynkoop Brewing Company in Denver, Colorado

1 Pound red potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 Medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 Quarts water
2 Cups chicken stock
1 Cups ale (such as Railyard, Fat Tire, etc.)
〓 Pound gorgonzola cheese (can also use smoked gouda) diced
1 Cup heavy cream
1 Teaspoon salt or to taste
1 Teaspoon white pepper or to taste
〓 Cup cornstarch
〓 Cup reserved potato water
Croutons for garnish

Boil potatoes and onion in water until potatoes are slightly mushy,
about 15 minutes. Drain water into a bowl and set aside. Puree onion
and potatoes in a food processor, adding reserved potato water as
needed to make a smooth mixture. Be careful not to splatter hot liquid.

Pour chicken stock and beer into a large stockpot and bring to a boil
on the stove. Add the cheese and stir over medium heat until cheese
melts and blends with the liquid. Add cream, pureed potato mixture,
salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in 〓 cup of the reserved potato water and stir
into the soup. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the soup
thickens and serve steaming hot. Garnish with croutons. Serves 6