Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Scott Kaczorowski

Default Worst Winter Beers (So Far)

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote
in :

> "jazzkid" > wrote in message
> oups.com..
> .
>> ahhem.....where did i say Bud was a homebrewer?
>> corn HAS been an adjunct in beer since brewers arrived in
>> the u.s. since it IS a native grain..innocent mistake,
>> burn a cross in my yard...

> Let's point out that not everyone out there abides by the
> German Reinheitsgebot, or Purity Law, of 1516--the one
> widely cited that all German beers must use only water,
> malted barley,

Appended to include "malted grain." Wheat and rye among them.
I'll never understand why they have not yet embraced corn...

> hops, and yeast. Not even the Germans obey
> this any more.

Dang EEC. Or EU. Or whatever it's called. Whatever it is,
it's now voluntary, and many (if not most) German brewers still
follow the Reinhietsgestupid (Protectionist bullshit that meant
and means nothing.)

> And I'm also a homebrewer especially fond of throwing all
> kinds of weird adjuncts in my beers.
> But corn (and corn sugar) gets dissed for particular
> reasons. It's cheap, it adds almost no discernible
> positive attributes to better beer recipes,

I suspect you haven't attempted a PrePro or an Abbey. Or even a
trad Bitter or fruit beer (And **** the rest of you in advance:
I had an Oud Beersel Kriek the other day, and while not
spectacular is was very much enjoyable.) Adjuncts have a
legitimate place in brewing, period.

> and it fuels
> every bad memory of folks' first homebrew, particularly in
> the cases of folks who bought certain cans of extract and
> followed the directions on the can label.

In my experience homebrewing, I have never, once, ever found
adjuncts to contribute to hangovers. Not once. Ever. If this
were so, mead (or wine) would be undrinkable.

In my experience homebrewing, most bad first memories are due to
a buttload of hops. Or a high-grav mess ala Arrogant *******.
Or poor fermentation management.

Joella the 'Chak once said something like: "Color doesn't turn
new beer drinkers away, hops do." That is, Guinness is a good
training-wheels beer, Pliny the Elder is not.

If your homebrew is inducing hangovers, spend the $200 on a
garage fridge and tighter-than-OEM thermostat.

> Insofar as "constructive criticism", I suggest simply "grow
> up". Lew and I get PAID for what we write.

That lends EXTRA SPECIAL weight to your comments.

> (Imagine
> drinking booze and coming out with more money than when you
> started.)

Er, um...how do I put this? Only an asshole would take charity
out of the building. Goes into the tip jar if nothing else.
Me, I admit that I've only come out not paying anything.

> If you are content to slather your "stream of
> consciousness" blather online, far be it from me to stop
> you, but as long as your material is semi-coherent, full of
> misspellings, and riddled with half-truths, don't ever
> expect a positive reception except from those who know even
> less than you do.

Oh. Crap. That makes sense to me. Consider the above friendly
chiding.

Scott Kaczorowski
Long Beach, CA