Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Charles Perry

Default Ovens for proofing and bread baking?

NewCulStudent wrote:
>.... but now that I think about it, I think the
> hangers for the baking sheets are actually mounted onto the wall of the
> proofer and a speed rack doesn't actually go in there, but it's about that
> size.

Actually they come both ways. The portable commercial proof boxes are
just a little bigger than a standard rack
so that they can hold the heater elements and the water container. The
fixed proofers that I have seen were usually set up in banks like a row
of refrigerators and the doors opened wide so you could just wheel a
standard rack straight in. I never used them but, there are also those
that can hold a standard rack and can operate either as retarders or
proofers. In fact, some could go from retarder to proofer automaticaly
after you programmed their clock.

Dick, My Irish Grandmother knew to prove or "proof" the yeast to make
sure that it was good before making the dough because she sure was not
going to waste any flour with bad yeast. She just let her bread dough
*rise* before baking. She knew that Incubators were for the chicken or
duck eggs, not kitchen equipment. My minimal cover for rising bread
dough is a plastic bag that I get for free from the grocery store.

Regards,

Charles