Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

Default Fried Meyer lemon slices

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:51:55 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:14:55 -0800, Marcella Peek wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> Peter Huebner > wrote:
>>

>> > The trouble with Meyers, if you grow your own is, the all ripen at once
>> > on the tree, and after they're gone - that's it. When they're ripe the
>> > ground under the tree is covered in rotting fruit because you can't use
>> > them all, the rest of the year you're s.o.o.l.

>> Interesting. Here in the SF bay area they are practically on the tree
>> year round. Meyers bloom twice a year so there is a pretty steady crop.
>> Must change with location.
>>
>> Or maybe they just knew you didn't like them :-)
>>
>> marcella

><Nod> They seem to be a year round crop here. I prefer meyers
>because they are thin skinned and produce a lot more juice w/o
>microwaving, smushing or otherwise beating them the way you have to
>with the regular persain type. Just as I can't tell the faint
>differences between rices, lemons are another one. Meyer isn't as
>sour and that's about as far as I go. A faint taste of tangerine
>isn't even on my radar screen. Come to think of it: I'd make a
>terrible sommelier.

I'm with you - Meyer lemons are more juicy and where I live I can grow
lemons year round. I have a Lisbon lemon tree and a Meyer also. The
Meyer seems to produce lemons almost year round, and the Lisbon only
seasonally. But the Lisbon lemons are easier to zest, if that's an
option as well as getting juice.

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!