Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

Default tangy lemon desert (was: Fried Meyer lemon slices)

It so happens we're having a Dinner here tonight and, apart from the leg
of lamb that just went in the oven I prepared some tangy lemon mousse
(a la casa).

You need some tangy unsprayed/unwaxed lemon(s) for this.

Basic single receipe quantities:
juice of one lemon
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 eggs
2 tbsp sugar (more to taste)
2 heaped tbsp cornflour
pinch of salt
2 cups of water

prep:
separate the eggs, keep the yolks in a cup and beat the whites until
very stiff
dissolve cornflour in a as little water as you can comfortably get away
with.
grate lemon zest into a saucepan, and squeeze the lemon juice.

now here we go:
Add the water and sugar and salt to the pan and bring to the boil.
Whisk in the cornflour and boil until it starts to clear - this should
be very thick by now (gloop-gloop) ... whip it off the heat, whisk in
the lemon juice, then whisk in the egg yolks, then fold in the beaten
egg whites.

Tip into dishes or a bowl and leave to cool. A red coctail cherry on top
is an optional decoration :-)

I made a double receipe today to serve 5 adults.

I _think_ if you wanted to use Meyer lemons for this you might have to
increase the amount of juice and zest ... but that is obviously regional
and in the eye of the beholder <grin>

-P.