Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

Default Walmart Vacuum Sealer Bags

On 10-Nov-2005, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> > Probably try the sinbo next time the food saver dies.
> >

> My only question is how much vacuum do you need? I recall a test that the
> Foodsaver pulled a better vacuum than the Sinbo. While that is a good
> trait, is the Sinbo adequate? Numbers on a manometer only tell part of the
> story and don't always relate to performance needed. What about the bag
> thickness? The regular Glad bags are too thin for a lot of items, but if
> the Sorbent system bags are as good as Foodsaver, that makes them a much
> better buy.

Tilia uses a 5-ply bag which is clearly superior to a single layer 3 mil bag. However,
how much better relative to required performance is up for grabs. I opt for the much
cheaper single layer poly bags and get along just fine with them. Sorbent Systems
makes bags in more then one thickness and from a variety of materials. A bag like
MRE's are packed in will cost you dearly, but Sorbent will supply them for you if
that's what you want.

I did a comparison a few months ago using the ability to crush an aluminum beer
can as the criteria. Neither machine was able to crush a can completely flat, but
the Tilia had a barely noticeable edge. Using the ability to preserve cheese as a
guide, my Sinbo absolutely preserves cheese between uses. In that instance, I
just reseal the same bag each time I close it back up. I only lose about 1/2" of the
bag each time I open it.

I still have a picture of the Sinbo packed beercan. I will post it on ABF if you like.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)