Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer

Default Need San Francisco restaurant recommendation

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >,
> "The Ranger" > wrote:
>
>> "Spengers?" Where are they located and what style restaurant is that?

>I'm astounded. How could anybody live here and not have heard of this
>place? It's one of the most famous seafood places in the BA, located in
>Berkeley. It's not famous for being great,

That is definitely the case. Definitely a "Parents are in town so let's
go out someplace relatively nice" place. It could also do banquets,
unlike a lot of places in town.

>and there is a lot of debate
>about it getting better and worse.

It was pretty foul before the change of ownership. one of the few times
I've gotten ill from restaurant food.

>Anyway:
>
>http://www.themenupage.com/spengersmenu.html
>

>I've never eaten there, but I think my wife has. If I was in Berkeley,
>and hungry for seafood, I might try it.

If fish-and-chips at the Seabreeze Deli (University at I-80) won't do it,
consider going to Sea Salt instead. It's good!

<http://www.seasaltrestaurant.com>

>Since it has nothing to do with
>either SFO or Union Square, I really can't recommend it for Stan.

Indeed. Tadich's or Swan's Oyster Depot are a little less of a trip
from Moscone or Union Square and will provide tasty fish.

Charlotte