Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Stan (the Man)

Default Walmart Vacuum Sealer Bags - "GlarZipLocVac'd.JPG" 57.8 KBytes

Brick wrote:
> On 9-Nov-2005, "Stan (the Man)" > wrote:
>

>>Brick wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>>For openers Stan, I have a FoodSaver, but it stays under the counter and comes
>>>up only for vacuuming jars. My countertop vacuum machine is a Snorkel type
>>>called "Sinbo VS280" from Sorbent Systems where I also purchase my 3 mil
>>>single layer poly bags.

>>I believe Sorbent used to sell channel bags that were compatible with
>>the Tilia until Tilia went ballistic and stopped them.

> The Tilia bags/rolls are apparently manufactured by Sorbent Systems. And yes
> they used to sell them. Tilia holds the patent for their special channel bags and
> apparently Sorbent didn't have a license to sell them.
>
>> If you're using a FoodSaver knockoff, the bags I use
>>
>>>won't work on/in you machine.

>>Mine is a Tilia. The 1050.
>>
>> Will your machine vac and seal a "Glad" ziplock?
>>
>>>Mine will. Check it out.

> I sound like I'm trying to be a smartass, but the point is that snorkel
> machines like the Sinbo VS280 don't require any special type of bag
> other then it be heat sealable.
>
> While common Ziplock bags can be evacuated and sealed with a
> snorkel machine they are highly unreliable for maintaining a vacuum
> over time. The multilayer Tilia bags/rolls are clearly superior in that
> regard, but not enough to justify the cost IMO.

But, I assume there are bags that are more commonly used with the Sinbo,
yes? Do they hold their seal acceptably? Reason I ask is that my Tilia
is starting to go belly up and I'm ready to purchase a new machine. I
owe no loyalty to Tilia.

--
Stan