Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

Default Need San Francisco restaurant recommendation

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:40:02 -0600, Andy wrote:

> The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch and though it
> wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an awesome location and so
> what if it ain't four stars.

I haven't set foot in the place since it was torn down and rebuilt
http://www.cliffhouse.com/ so my comments are based on past
experience.

The Cliff House can be enjoyed over coctails or just walking through,
but eating there isn't a "must" (even for brunch). IMO: a better
"experience" would be at the Beach Chalet/Park Chalet further down.
Beach Chalet has a microbrewery, live entertainment and ocean views.
Park Chalet has a big fireplace, opens onto a lawn looking into Golden
Gate Park, has more hours of live entertainment and they share the
same kitchen.... the food is pretty darn good, but I wouldn't call it
inexpensive. Somehow a reasonable meal turns into a pricey one
because you're ordering all the extras. Families with kids can eat
cheap and enjoy music on the back lawn on weekend days by order
hotdogs/sausages made on an outdoor grill. They could limit their
liquid intake to beer or sodas, but a full bar is just a few feet
away....

http://www.beachchalet.com/

> I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003 and it
> was as good as ever.

http://www.themenupage.com/spengers.html

In 2003, the interior hadn't changed much (in fact many of the waiters
were the same as before the "change") and I didn't think the food was
a lot different either.... but it *was* different and I think that's
what was the problem is with diehard Spenger's fans. We used to go
there regularly, but not since the change in management.

> It's easy being a critic ain't it???

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, being a food critic is
second nature.