Posted to rec.food.cooking
= . . = (EastneyEnder)

Default Venison

Nancy1 wrote:
> My son got a 220 pound buck this year - whatever else, have the locker
> (butcher boys) make up some deer sausage, which around here, means
> similar to "summer sausage." It's not the raw sausage, it's cured, and
> has a bunch of other stuff added to it.

I moved out of London 3 years ago and "roomed" (lodged) with a friend and
her husband for a while, who live in the New Forest.

Hubby left at 5am each morning to drive to London for his job, and often
spotted freshly hit deer by the roadside. In UK law, you can't take it if
you hit it yourself, but you can if anyone - even the car in front - did.

He often slung a deer into the boot [trunk] of the car and on arriving home
at 9pm took it out into the garden, strung it from the washing line, and
home butchered it [another technically illegal thing in today's nanny state
Britain]. Even those he saw by the roadside at 6am, when being processed in
the back garden at 9, were still steaming in mid-winter.... You just cannot
get fresher.

My first meal when I moved in was Roast Roadkill, and as I did the cooking a
lot when I was there, was often trawling the internet for venison recipes.
Most of those I found were for venison steaks, which was not what we had in
the freezer... ours was limited to roughly-hewn pieces/cuts [joints in
UK-speak] but all for free of course and I had nooo problem with that....

We have a lot less deer than you do in the US - (I recall a trip in NW FL
and counting about 20 live whitetails in under 2 hours... here you'd be
lucky to see a wild deer once a week) - so I guess that just made it all the
more special, especially as historically deer in England were reserved for
the nobility and a peasant like me could have been hanged for joining in a
roadkill feast...

Sue
Portsmouth, UK
--
pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.