Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer

Default Need San Francisco restaurant recommendation

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:01:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
>wrote:
>

>>> In Berkeley, Spengers is one of the best fish restaurants in the Bay
>>> Area, imho.
>>>
>>> For recreation, take the Larkspur ferry roundtrip from the pier to
>>> Larkspur. It's a great bay ride. A hydrofoil, iirc. And of course, don't
>>> forget to wave at the cons in "the yard" at San Quentin prison as you
>>> glide by!!!

>>Thanks everyone. I will confirm with my friend that he's really
>>interested in making the drive from Petaluma to SFO. My friend travels
>>by air quite a bit so I imagine he knows the distances, but I will point
>>it out just to be sure.
>>
>>Were it not for the fact that a few interesting restaurants have already
>>been recommended in this thread, I would check out ba.food or the
>>chowhound web site, but I don't believe in looking for something once it
>>has been found!

>I would avoid Spengers at all costs...to be honest. It isn't very
>good. If you ask on Chowhound, or ba.food, that is exactly the
>opinion you will get.

I live in Berkeley. Spengers is not as bad as it used to be. It's okay,
but if you want seafood in Berkeley, Sea Salt is better. I certainly
wouldn't make a special trip to Spengers.

Both of these are a fair distance from SFO, though. (I forget, but it's
like 25 miles or so.)

>Stan, ask on Chowhound. That is how I found that restuarant that we
>went to when you were here.

If you're in downtown SF (Mac World is usually at the Moscone, no?) be
sure to visit the Ferry Building Market ... at the bay end of
Market Street, near Embarcadero BART/MUNI. Farmer's Market on Saturdays,
but shops open all week.

Charlotte