Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

Default TN: low expectations, some exceeded (Jaboulet, Long-Depaquit )

On 6 Nov 2005 08:46:31 -0800
"DaleW" > wrote:

] Emery,
] you wrote:
] ""Yes, I meant to ask why such low expectations, too. I've found
] Jaboulet to be generally reliable enough, in a negoc sort of way.
] Certainly not at all old for a Cornas. Have you already been
] disappointed by this one, Dale? "
]
] I think Jaboulet's domaine wines (owned vineyards like the Crozes
] Thalabert) can be quite good. And in some vintages (it's been
] inconsistent lately) the Parallele 45 CdR can be a good
] value.But......I've found their general basel level negociant wines to
] pretty much suck (excuse the expression) in most vintages. That applies
] to the Cornas, the Gigondas, the Vacqueyras, the St. Joseph. Far better
] values out there for just a few dollars more.
]
] There's also distressing bottle variation in some of their wines.
]
] Just my opinion.
]

Thanks for the info, Dale. I guess my impressions are out of
date, pretty much. The P45 used to be consistantly reasonable,
although I too noticed different "batches" within a single vintage.

But I confess I don't think I've had a Jaboulet of any kind since
returning to France (for good).

As for your opinion, I value it highly!

-E

--