Posted to alt.food.asian
James Silverton

Default vietnamese brown sauce

Alfonz wrote on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:11:29 GMT:

AM> Darawen Littlestich wrote...
??>> hello!
??>> I have tried googling BUT, I don't even know the name of
??>> this sauce. It's a thick, sweetish, brown sauce, usually
??>> topped with chopped peanuts and served with vietnamese
??>> spring rolls.
??>> >>>>>>clipping<<<<<<<<<<<<

??>> AM> Yeah, I had that sauce a few weeks ago at a
??>> Vietnamese
AM> restaurant, with spring rolls. I don't know what it's
AM> called, but I could tell it was peanut-based with a hint of

It's obviously not the sweet peppery sauce made with fish sauce
and lime juice (nuoc mam) that is often served but in 2001
Gourmet magazine had a summer roll recipe with a sauce that
might match. I have not tried it so no guarantees!

For peanut sauce

3 tablespoons finely chopped onion

1 small garlic clove, minced

3/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter

1 tablespoon hoisin sauce

1 teaspoon tomato paste

3/4 teaspoon sugar

Make sauce: Cook onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes in oil in
a small heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until pale
golden, about 4 minutes. Whisk in remaining sauce ingredients.
Simmer, whisking, 1 minute, then cool.

James Silverton.