Posted to rec.food.cooking
Noises Off

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Arnold wrote:

> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> struggling with 'will power'!

Trying the two at once seems doomed to me. Have you had some
kind of health scare?

If it is any help, when I was diagnosed with high blood
pressure I quit a 60 a day habit. Willpower at the start but
then I tried those plastic 'cigarettes' with a nicotine
capsule in them. It depends on what sort of smoker you are.
One of the main things I missed was having something to do
with my hands. The plastic cigarette helped that a lot. I
continued long after the instructions said so that stopping
was quite painless. The drawback and reason I stopped using
them was strangers asking for one of my cigarettes and being
too mad/drunk to understand why I couldn't help.

Three years now, not bad even if I say it myself.

Good luck and all the best.

Noises Off