Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>
> > I read where
> > many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> > pleasant way to die.

> While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
> disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
> won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
> reducer.
>
> As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
> in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
> from terminal alchoholism.
>
> THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
> It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.
>
> If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
> that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
> medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
> are. ;-)
>
> My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...
>
> I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
> but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
> safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
> anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.
>
> Regular medical care is mandatory.
> --
> Om.

Yep, I agree, Kat. I'm healthy, TFM is healthy and you're healthy. As long
as we take our vitamins and our milk thistle, we're good to go. (TFM is a
functional alcoholic, too, BTW. And he's a framer and master carpenter for
multi-million dollar homes. One of the homes he's built was featured in
Coastal Living.)

kili