Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"Michael O'Connor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Fortunately, the alcholism bug skipped me; most of my ancestors were
> alcoholics and I figured the best way to avoid it was to drink very
> seldomly. I might have one drink a month, and most of the time that I
> drink is when I have to fly.
>
> I was a longtime smoker, and managed to quit smoking a couple years
> ago. The only way I was able to quit was by chewing nicotine gum, and
> I still haven't been able to get this monkey off my back. If I quit
> chewing the gum I'll start smoking again, as I found when I tried to
> quit the gum on numerous occasions. Even if I have to chew it for the
> rest of my life it is a worthwhile trade-off to avoid lung cancer,
> emphysema, etc.

TFM's Uncle Nasty was just here visiting from Tennessee with his new fiance,
and she doesn't know he smokes - go figure how long *this* is gonna last.
Sigh. Anyway, he's been chewing nicotine gum. He claims it works. I still
think that no matter what, it's better than smoking. I'm resorting to
accept TFM's chewing tobacco instead of smoking because he's not coughing at
night now. It's been a couple of weeks since he's quit smoking and I'm not
awake at night, scared, wondering if he's gonna take a breath. He still
snores, so I still have to resort to the couch, but no more gasping and
coughing. Cigarettes are nasty, folks. Sorry. If you smoke and you're
happy about it, smoke away. I'm just saying *I* quit - no problems - my
hubby has quit, but is chewing tobacco. Whatever works. QUIT SMOKING.

kili <-------- still drinking, however.