Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

On Sun 06 Nov 2005 03:24:18p, ~patches~ wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Arnold wrote:
>
>> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>>
>> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
>> struggling with 'will power'!
>>

> When I was dating DH eons ago, I dabbled in smoking. Back then it was a
> cool thing to do. DH then current fiance hated everything about smoking
> and would regularly destroy whole packs of my cigarettes. At that time
> they were about $2 a pack. I decided the hassles and the cost of wasted
> cigarettes were not worth it and besides I was head over hills in love
> with him. I gave up the cigarettes and we've had peace & harmony ever
> since - at least on the smoking issue To this day we don't even
> allow smoking in our house. I've never regretted quitting smoking. We
> have always used alcohol in moderation and I cook with a variety of
> alcohols. As a female, I am very careful to stay within the Canadian
> safe guidelines to alcohol consumption. It wouldn't bother me to go
> without drinking alcohol. It would bother me more to go without using
> alcohol in certain dishes but if I had to I would.
>
> Do you mind if I ask you if you are struggling with one or the other or
> both? The thing is with either it is not just about will power as there
> are physical withdrawl symptoms to deal with. There are several herbs
> that will help with either or both. Camomile will help curb the
> jitters, anxiety, and overall restlessness from either withdrawl. Milk
> thistle should be used by anyone who consumes alcohol regardless of how
> much. There are other herbs that will help, just do a google search.
> If you are/were a heavy alcohol consumer, alcohol abuser, or alcoholic
> you should seek medical help before quitting as there can be serious
> side effects. You will also need proper assessment of nutritional
> deficits. If you were just drinking more than you were comfortable
> with, vit B especially thiamine is recommended as is zinc. A proper,
> healthy diet rich in fruits & veggies is recommended for overcoming
> either addiction. Other vitamins are recommended especially the
> anti-oxidants and vit E. A higher carb, lower protein is recommended
> for overcoming alcohol addiction. Caffeine should be avoided or
> eliminated during withdrawl as caffeine is a drug itself and will
> increase the anxiety. However if you are a heavy coffee or tea drinker,
> suddenly eliminating that will cause another set of withdrawl symptoms.
> There is a lot of info on the web to help you with this.

Very interesting and good recommendations. We do smoke, but neither of us
drink alcohol, although I do cook with it. I think we are just not ready
to quit smoking. We have both quit smoking for short periods before, long
enough to break the physical addiction, but it was easy to drift back to
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*