Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Bread flour for shortbread?

"baker1" > wrote in message
> On 2 Nov 2005 13:17:40 -0800, "
> > wrote:
>

> >I'll put in a plug for reading Shirley Corriher's wonderful section on
> >flour in _Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed_ You should be
> >able to find it in your library. Along with McGee she's a wonderful
> >food science writer.
> >
> >-Marylouise

> Very interesting. I'll take a look, because I agree that being
> somewhat off by only a few %'s can mess up a meal.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

When making bread, biscuits, and scones, and pie pastry I don't use a set
measure of liquid. I only add what is needed to make a proper dough. I
agree that Chorriher's book is a good read ( I own a copy), it is very hard
to know what the percentage of gluten forming proteins is in any given brand
of flour. Therefore, on a practical note it is important to realize that
you don't have to add all the liquid specified in a recipe, but only the
amount to make the consistency of dough you want.