Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

Default Starting a wine bar - need advice for restaurant supplies

In article >, teacherjh@aol.
nojunk.com says...

>> The problem is that in the bar/wine
>> business the level of breakage runs at around 20% per year, so trying
>> to strike a balance between quality and practicality is a problem.

>Amortized over the number of glasses of (presumably expensive) wine
>you'll be serving and charging for, how much does that really come to?
>
>I know, every little bit adds up, but if you sold the wine for a nickel
>more per glass, you'd be ahead, vs. using a cheaper thicker glass that
>might turn people off. I know I sometimes choose where to go based on
>the wine glasses they use, and I look forward to the experience.
>
>Jose

Jose,

To echo yours, Mark's and Richard's sentiments, not long ago, we were hosting
a board dinner in Newport Beach, CA/US and had gotten the concierge to make
reservations for the event. I dined at the restaurant (a very nice one on at
the marina), and was amazed at the low-end stems. While walking around the
hotel property, I spotted a small dining room, off of the main restaurant
area. The tables were all set with Riedel Sommelier Series glasses. Wow, in
the dimly lit area it was quite an impression. I inquired, and found that it
was the "chef's table" for the resort's higher-end restaurant. I immediately
booked it, instead, and we had one of the most exquisite board dinners yet!
Now, the chef, the sommelier, the waitstaff, and the food went a very, very
long way toward that, but the glassware for our "wine dinner" was the final
touch!!! I'm NOT advocating US$50/stem settings, but to usher the board
members into this small dining area, with pinspots hitting just the place
settings was a real treat for me. As we served about 8 wines that night, the
settings were a photographer's dream. I have to admit that I got a bit lucky,
however, if the place settings had included "jelly jars," I would not have
changed the reservations - the glasses sold me on the spot.

Hunt