Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Default Starting a wine bar - need advice for restaurant supplies

wrote:
> I'm specifically looking for a source for glassware, but all my
> commercial supplies are coming out with prices from $2-6 per glass,
> which seems expensive to me.
>
> Does anyone know of a good source of quality wine glasses that would
> come in under $2? I'm in San Antonio, Texas, by the way.
>
> Thanks,
> James

$2 per stem sounds pretty reasonable to me as a consumer. My INAO
glasses from St. George (now defunct, I'm told) came in for just about
that retail. If you're starting a wine bar, don't skimp on the glasses.
To do so would turn away the wine geek crowd, who will otherwise be
your best client base. Make sure that your glasses are good *enough* to
attract repeat business. Keep in mind that unless your wine bar
dispenses 2 Buck Chuck by the gallon, you're not going to see a lot of
broken glasses on a per night basis, so you can afford a slightly pricey
glass -- it'll pay dividends.

My $0.02,
Mark Lipton