Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

Default Thanksgiving Dinner

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:19:16 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:41:48 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> >
> > > Nah, i probly wont get 'jiggy' with it, people seem to get upset

> > when i
> > > wear my tiara.

> > I can't imagine why... you appear to have very good taste and lots of
> > klas.
> >

> You are very kind, SF, but unfortunately those types of people i could
> invite to such an affair tend to be rather conservative and don't take
> kindly to men wearing tiaras, they are technically a badge of rank
> rather than just a piece of jewellery.
>
> A friend of a friend once got me an invite to a very fancy dinner in San
> Francisco, held once a year by the Escoffier club. In my pretentious
> desire to be as 'white tie and tails' as i could be i had a silk sash
> made up for me to wear under the outer coat but over the white vest,
> like you see the Queen of England and her relatives who are knights of
> the garter wearing. Running diagonally from the left shoulder to the
> right side of the hips. It was a very specific orange colour based on
> my only order, the NSM or national service medal that any one who has
> been in the U.S. military is awarded just for making it through basic
> training. Several people thought i was taking way too great a liberty
> and did not hesitate to say so. But this was only after i had explained
> to them it did not represent a certain Spanish order they had assumed it
> did, and were quite deferential till i explained it represented an
> American military order.

Oh, my goodness... I didn't think there were so many tight "you know
what's" in SF!

> Though i could get my Halston ball gown out and invite my more radical
> friends but then they would complain about the parasitic ostentation of
> unearned wealth ( i inherited the Tiara).

Oh, geeze... we can have a party for two! I'll fight you for the
tiara). LOL

> Given my recent back problems i will probly just do a small dinner and
> that very casual. Which in some respects is harder for me than
> something elaborate, i get caught up in the moment and start elaborating
> till it gets out of hand and im spending a week in the kitchen
> preparing for one meal.
>
> With any luck at all i will be invited out rather than inviting others
> in.

That's always a good option, but I've found that the easiest
entertaining involves the Weber.... even if it's Thanksgiving. We've
gone over to friends who have a deck for xx years, I LOVE T'day there
because no matter how cold, a table is set up outside. I *always* opt
to eat out there although most of the guests are fair weather friends
who eat on the other side of the sliding glass doors (which are
closed). What a bunch of hot house beauties!

LOL!
I usually pretend I'm a pilgrim... and LOVE the entire outdoor (cold)
experience. One year we pretended to be pirates, but I paid for it
the following day with a sore throat. There are only "so many" times
you can lower your voice to say Ar, Ar, Ar and all that other pirate
stuff without your vocal chords rebelling.