Posted to alt.food.vegan
C. James Strutz

Default Beets

"Taemon" > wrote in message
> C. James Strutz wrote:
>
>> Like Taemon, I received a lot of something in my vegetable
>> subscription that I don't know what to do with - beets. Anyone have
>> any good ideas what to do with beets aside from borcht?

> I used to have a great recipe for beets, but I can't find it :-( It
> involved a little chopped onions, some oatmeal and copious amounts of...
> peanut butter. Make into balls, fry. I know it sounds weird but it was
> perfectly balanced out. Of course, now I don't know the amounts :-( Feel
> like experimenting? ;-)

Hmm, that does sound odd but also intriquing. Maybe worth experimenting
with.

I have to say that beets are not among my favorite vegetables. There are
only two occasions that I can remember actually appreciating beets. The
first was as a dinner guest at the home of some Polish friends. They served
borcht as a first course that was truely incredible. The second was at a
restaurant where a beet reduction sauce was served as a condiment for
grilled salmon (many years ago). As I write this, I realize that the borcht
and beet reduction sauce are very nearly the same thing. Both were made with
white wine. Maybe I'll search for an authentic borcht recipe and try making
that....

> A couple of days ago I placed a recipe called "Beets and their greens".
> Maybe that is to your liking.

Thanks, I saw that. Unfortunately, these beets came without their greens and
so that recipe is out of the question.