Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

Default Runny Jelly

In article .com>,
"Sindir" > wrote:

> Well, I am new to the canning business and just realized that I messed
> up my plum jelly. I followed the directions, but read them wrong. I
> used the recipe below. Can I fix this or just use it as a syrup? Now
> that I know what I did wrong (through a bit of internet research and a
> light bulb moment), I can make more the right way.
>
> Recipe from Ball Liquid Pectin Package:
>
> Plum
> 7, 8 oz jars
>
> Preperation of fruit
> Pit and finely chop (do not peel). Place in saucepan; add 1 1/2 cups
> water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
>
> Ingredients (in addition to 1 pouch Ball Fruit Jell Liquid Pectin
> unless otherwise listed)
> 4 cups prepared plum juice (6 lbs.)
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
>
> Now, where I messed up is that I read this recipe wrong. When I read
> the 4 cups prepared plum juice I thought in addition to the plums I had
> boiled. So, effectively I had double the amount of juice I needed.
> Can I fix this now? I already tried to re-make it using 4 tbsp lemon
> juice, 1 1/2 cups sugar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. That doesn't seem to
> have worked either
>
> Please help! At least I know what not to do next time!

Well, if it were ME, I'd cut my losses and tell people how much they'll
enjoy your Plum Syrup on their waffles and pancakes. But that's just
me. I'm thinking that if you continuye to screw around with this you
could make a big mess of it and wind up with nothing to show for your
efforts. Quit while you're not too far behind. "-)

Word to the wise: First thing I teach my students is to STUDY the
directions - not just look at them casually. Then I tell them to read
the instructions again. Things move fast once you've begun.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.