p. clouston

Default a stout like Mackeson XXX?

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 02:59:40 GMT, "Lew Bryson"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> It's surprises me somewhat that at the same time the "new prohibitionists"
>> are attacking alcohol use, that brewers and retailers have increased both
>> alcohol content and the size of a typical serving of draft beer. I
>> wouldn't mind having a 7 oz. beer once in awhile (especially in a bar with
>> a good draft selection) or a good "session" beer. Instead, many bars have
>> a choice of a "pint" (granted, it's really only 14 oz.) OR 22 oz. And we
>> get people moaning that their particular state doesn't allow "real" beer
>> because there's a limit on alcohol in beer - hey, I like a number of high
>> alcohol beers and don't think the state should limit beers based on
>> alcohol content (or any other factor) but that doesn't mean there isn't
>> "real" beer with 5% or less alcohol.

>Hear, hear! Well-said, and why don't no one listen? There are a few places
>like this, and mostly I hear bad things about them from geek-types: "Boring
>beer" and "won't serve a proper pint." Boring geeks, I say, who wouldn't
>know a "proper" pint if it bit them on the arse.

Boulevard in KC made a bitter called Ten Penny that was less than
3.2%abw. It received a similar reaction. I heard people slag it for
the low alcohol, although it had plenty of flavor. They eventually
stopped making it.

I tend to go for draft Guinness, if I'm driving or need to keep my
wits about me.

Pete Clouston
Lawrence (KS) Brewers Guild
http://www.lawrencebrewers.org