Default a stout like Mackeson XXX?

Alan Follett wrote:

> It's surprising that sweet stout is one style that doesn't seem to have
> many exemplars among US craft brewers.

Well, that and mild. Both on the low end of alcohol content, not
coincidentally. (Even the few milds we get from the UK tend to be on
the high end of the scale.)

It's surprises me somewhat that at the same time the "new
prohibitionists" are attacking alcohol use, that brewers and retailers
have increased both alcohol content and the size of a typical serving of
draft beer. I wouldn't mind having a 7 oz. beer once in awhile
(especially in a bar with a good draft selection) or a good "session"
beer. Instead, many bars have a choice of a "pint" (granted, it's
really only 14 oz.) OR 22 oz. And we get people moaning that their
particular state doesn't allow "real" beer because there's a limit on
alcohol in beer - hey, I like a number of high alcohol beers and don't
think the state should limit beers based on alcohol content (or any
other factor) but that doesn't mean there isn't "real" beer with 5% or
less alcohol.