Joel Sprague

Default Making small batches

Just a guess, but I'd say he's probably talking about oxygen exposure, at
least as part of the whole.

Most people have the same inch of two of headspace in a 1 gallon jug that
they do in a 6 gallon carboy(depending on shape of particular neck) and same
type of effect comparing a fifth to a double magnum. SO you're looking at a
greater ration of oxygen to wine in a smaller container.

There's also other issues, that slip my mind, same things that contribute to
fact that aging in a larger container can give a better, mellower, msoother
taste.

But I'm also just making things up here, so I could be wrong.

Joel

"Rich Morris" > wrote in message
.. .
> I was reading Jon Iverson's book Home Winemaking when I read on page 54

that
> wine in small carboys or jugs might not store safley. Why would the size

of
> the container matter? It would seem to me that the size should not

matter.