sf

Default PING Sheldon - Ground Beef King

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:33:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> In article >, "Tank"
> > wrote:
>
> > This cubed round steak was from a cow my
> > father-in-law purchased from the Ottawa
> > county fair last fall. Cut by local butcher,

> > Unfortunately, the taste of the cooked meat
> > was not that great. She made some meatballs
> > with it, and there was almost an "off" taste to
> > them.

> FWIW, we bought a side of Black Angus from my boss.

You have a boss??? I thought YOU were the boss!!

> He insisted that it
> be aged for something like 14-21 days (I don't recall exactly, but it
> was longer than 'customary') before butchering. The resulting
> grillable steaks were great and the ground beef (and lots of it!) was
> awful. It had a taste that I can only describe as dark, heavy, and
> slightly gamey.

Which sounds like an animal that was slaughtered under
stress.

I'm not an animal rights advocate, so I won't get into the
details. However, I WILL tell you that a local organic beef
beef farmer who was featured in the local paper recently
stated that his agreement with the slaughterhouse is that
they do it early in the day so his animals aren't stressed
(probably due to hearing the stress cries of those who hear
the death cries of those being slaughtered).