Diamond Vintner Diamond Vintner is offline
Member

Location: Diamond Bar

I saw a recipe from Jack Keller and have a gallon of Welch's 100% concord brewing now. It will never come anywhere near the level of a fine wine but, for me, it is a tool to learn the method of home winemaking. My gallon batch is 6 weeks into it and has been racked once. It has a super (Thuper) fruity taste with a bit of a dryness, all in all a fun experience. I plan to bottle and share with friends and family during the holidays. I still need to come up with a witty name for the labels (.50 cent chuck?) I don't have the recipe here at work but I'll try to login later and post what I used.

I added wine yeast and nutrient as well as acid blend and some sugar to meet required levels (1.090 SG) The acid I added as the recipe required but at that time I didn't have an acid test kit.

Enjoy!

DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy
I would like to make wine from juice I can buy in the store. I
understand I would need brands that are 100% grape, orange, apple, etc
juice. I think I also understand that I would need to add sugar to adjust
the sg. to about 1.090 for a medium table wine. Is that correct?

Of all the juices I see (frozen or fresh), most contain ascorbic acid or
vitamin C. I do not wish to use juices containing calcium or other
additives.

My main concern is is the ascorbic acid "OK" in the juice and/or do I
need to make adjustments in the amounts of acid blend (if needed) or would
I have to compensate by using just one or two types of acid such as
tartaric or citric acid to get the proper balance.